Recipes from Jennifer Keller Smith, a St. Francis registered dietician.
- 3 pounds red potatoes, cubed (leave skin on)
- 6 garlic cloves, separated and peeled
- ½ cup skim milk
- 1 tablespoon trans-fat-free margarine
- 1 tablespoon butter flavored sprinkles (Molly McButter or Butter Buds)
- Ground black pepper, to taste
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley (optional)
- In a large stockpot, cover the potatoes with water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer until tender, about 15 minutes. Drain the potatoes, and return to the stockpot.
- In a small saucepan, cover the garlic with water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer until tender, about 10 minutes. Drain the garlic.
- In a food processor or blender, combine the garlic with milk. Purée until smooth.
- Add the puréed garlic/milk and margarine to the potatoes. Mash to desired consistency.
- Season with black pepper to taste. Garnish with parsley, if desired, and serve immediately.
Nutrition Info per serving:
Total fat: 1.4 grams
Cholesterol: 0 mg
Sodium: 75 mg
Carbohydrate: 29 grams
Fiber: 3 grams
Protein: 4 grams