Recipes from Jennifer Keller Smith, a St. Francis registered dietician.
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup trans-fat free shortening
- 1/3 cup Butter Buds Mix, liquefied
- 3 to 4 tablespoons ice water
- 16 oz pumpkin purée
- 1¼ cup fat-free evaporated milk
- whites of 3 large eggs
- ½ cup firmly packed dark brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- ½ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- pinch of ground cloves
Topping: ½ cup non-fat or low fat frozen whipped topping, thawed (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350°. Spray 9-inch pie pan with cooking spray.
- Combine flour, salt, shortening and Butter Buds Mix with a fork until very coarse. Add water until thoroughly mixed. Do not overwork the dough.
- Shape the mixture into 2 balls. Place one ball between 2 pieces of wax paper dusted with flour. Roll the pastry into a circle large enough to fit a 9-inch pan. Reserve second ball for another pie, if desired.
- Arrange crust in pan. Prick the bottom with a fork. Bake 10 minutes. Cool to room temperature.
- Preheat oven to 450°. In a large bowl, beat all filling ingredients until no lumps remain. Pour into pie crust. Bake 10 minutes.
- Reduce heat to 325°. Bake for 50 minutes, or until knife inserted into the center comes out clean.
- When serving, top each slice with a dollop of whipped topping, if desired.
Nutrition Info per Serving
Total fat: 2 grams
Cholesterol: 2 mg
Sodium: 153 mg
Carbohydrate: 53 grams
Fiber: 5 grams
Protein: 9 grams